Sunday, February 7, 2016

Introduction

                             

Hello! Welcome to Mrs. B's Blog
Here you can gain information on many topics. This week we will discuss what Differentiated Instruction. What is it  ? How can you implement it in your classroom ? What are the challenges of doing it? I hope to help you answer these types of questions.

With differentiated instruction being used more and more by people, it is important to help familiarize ourselves as to what teachers can do to reach all their students.

             I hope everyone finds this blog valuable and informative.



                                  

                        Differentiated Instruction : What is It ?

Differentiation is methods modifying instruction to meet individual student’s necessities. Whether teachers set apart content, procedure, or the learning environment, the use of continuing assessment and adjusting grouping can make an approach to instruction successful.



                         


   Today we are seeing classrooms that have up to 35 students with a variety of learning styles, backgrounds, personalities, interests, and levels of content knowledge. In a differentiated classroom the teacher can present the concept of the lesson in different means. This way it can fit to all the learning styles of the class. The students can learn, practice, and show their knowledge to the teacher. One argument in regards to differentiated instruction is that the planning and executing of this type of instruction takes more time. However, it’s goal it to meet the needs and learning styles of all students. 


 Teachers who implement differentiation in the classroom may:

  1. Plan lessons created on students’ learning styles.
  2. Set students by common interest, subject or capability for assignments.
  3. Evaluate students’ knowledge using formative assessment.
  4. Try to achieve a classroom to make a safe and supportive setting.
  5. Repeatedly gauge and correct lesson content to meet students’ needs.






              Examples of Differentiated Instruction
1.     Varying sets of reading questions
Adapt having a variety of questions that the students can choose from in order to gauge their comprehension on the lesson being taught
2.     Modified course packet
Include in this work individualized remediation or enrichment materials.
3.     An assessment
One that gets easier or harder depending on how a student is successfully doing on the work.
4.     Coaching student
Having a one on one approach with the student to see their challenges and ways you can work with them. By giving them extra attention you can gear your lessons accordingly.
5.     Small Groups
Students assembled into small groups that are planned around their strong points and weaknesses so that they can peer tutor each other.



A little about myself

 My name is Kristina Ballester. I am currently working on my Single subject credential in Math with a Master in Education at National University. Currently, I am a substitute teacher and have been for the past ten years. This past year I decided it was my time to put down some roots and acquire my own classroom. I have experienced students, classroom curriculum, testing, and the school environment change tremendously over these years: however, I cannot imagine myself doing any other job. Being a substitute teacher has allowed me to raise my four boys and support them with their own education goals. I have 23 year old, 22 year old twins, and a 14 year old son. All three of my sons received their BA in Business Administration and one is now attending the graduate program at USC. In my spare time I enjoy going on trips with my family, and couponing.

No comments:

Post a Comment